Get Started Icon Mail Icon

4 Human Foods You Should Never Feed Your Pet

It’s fun changing things up for your pet and giving them a special treat every now and then.  However, before you give your pet something you think they’ll like, it’s best to make sure that it’s okay for them to eat.

Here are a few examples of food that you should never feed your pet:


Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic for dogs. If ingested, symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea and tiredness can occur.  Rapid kidney failure can occur shortly after.

This is well known but nonetheless, a good reminder! Chocolate has methylxanthines in it, which are stimulants that can stop a dog’s metabolic process.  Vomiting and diarrhea can happen, or even other more serious complications such as seizures, heart problems, and even death.  Dark chocolate is particularly harmful for dogs. It is best to have all chocolate kept in a safe place.


Dog’s absorb caffeine very quickly, much faster than us.  Caffeine can speed up a dog’s heart rate and stimulate their nervous system.  Symptoms of caffeine overdose can be mild like vomiting or diarrhea, or drastic such as heart complications or lung failure.



Xylitol can be found in things such as gum, candy, toothpaste and baked goods. This substance can cause a dog’s blood sugar to reduce drastically, leading to liver damage or even death.



If your pet eats something that you aren’t sure about or displays signs of poisoning, contact your emergency vet immediately or the Pet Poison hotline.  It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your pet!  There are a lot of human foods that you can feed your pet, so just make sure to do your research first and treat them in small quantities!

Related Posts

Leave a Comment