Get Started Icon Mail Icon

Common Items Around the House that are Poisonous to Pets

In honour of “Pet Poison Prevention Week”, we wanted to remind pet parents to safety proof their homes from edible hazards that could harm their pet.  It is important to take the time to go around your house and identify anything that could be harmful to your pet, and make sure those things are out of reach.  This is especially important if you have a younger dog as they can be tricky masterminds and find their way into anything.

Here are the leading reported toxins that pets have gotten into:

1. Chocolate
2. Poisons
3. Medication (Tylenol, anti-inflammatory, stimulants)
4. Grapes and Raisins
5. Xylitol (sugar-free gum)
6. Fertilizers
1. Cleaning products
2. Plants such as lilies
3. Medication (Tylenol, anti-inflammatory, stimulants)
4. Onions and garlic
5. Poisons
6. Essential Oils

We all do our best to practice poison prevention.  Sometimes things happen that are out of our control so it’s important to know the signs of poisoning to trigger our brains to act fast.  Some signs of poisoning can include:
Racing Heart
Pale/grey gums
Excessive thirst/urination
Trouble breathing

The number one thing to do if you think your pet has been poisoned is to remain calm.  Agitating your pet will not help the situation.  Take your pet to your veterinarian or call the Pet Poison Hotline: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435
If you know what your pet has ingested, bring the ingredients in.  Take note of how much your pet ate, the time elapsed between eating it, and all symptoms shown.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment