April is ‘Adopt a Greyhound Month’! A whole long month honoring this magnificent breed that can go from being the fastest dog on the planet to a lazy couch potato, both in record time. We thought we’d bring you five facts to get you more in tune with the Greyhound!
- The greyhound is the fastest dog in the world, clocking in at a record 45mph. Their nickname is the “40mph couch potato”. They were originally bred to chase hares, foxes and deer, and now are more of a low-key apartment dog.
- Greyhounds are very sensitive. They can react to tensions or a negative atmosphere. They are better suited for a quieter home.
- Greyhounds like to roach! There are 2 types of roaching: 1) A greyhound can lay on their back, usually to cool off. 2) A greyhound can lay on their back to stimulate nerves and pressure points, kind of like a massage. When you think of their long, lean back, they need all the back rubs they can get!
- If you’ve been around a greyhound, you probably have heard some teeth chattering! Greyhounds’ teeth tend to chatter when they are waiting for a meal or to go for a walk (something like a “hurry up!” chatter).
- Greyhounds have the highest red blood cell count. The more red blood cells you have, the quicker the oxygen goes through the body. With the greyhound being so fast, having a high red blood cell count is key!